Friday, November 14, 2014

Short Stories Found

Nothing is more disappointing than a lost story.  Digital files are so impermanent but seem so safe.  Copy the file to a backup disk, move it with your documents to a new computer and save on a floppy.  "Save on a floppy?" you ask.  Yes, for some reason it was once thought that portable disks were a means to store your work.

I had two stories that ended up saved to a 3.5 disk for safety.  Only when you do to retrieve them for publication, it seems that technology has passed you by.  I have two desktops in my home and four laptops as well as five tablets and six smart phones.  None of them have 3.5 inch disk drives anymore.

So when I went to upload the story "The Cove" I was thwarted.  It only existed on an old disk, which I no longer had the means to access.  I asked friends and family and struck out.

I then dug around.  I had to have a hard copy somewhere.  Not in my files.  Not in the box in the garage.  Sadly, not at my desk where I put all my hard copies.

So instead I decided to write another story and let it go.  I pulled out my laptop which was too heavy to carry around and began to cull out the unnecessary documents I was carrying around.

Sweet!  I had a hard copy among the very old files.  So, though the upload of stories meant for October are not yet there, they soon will be.



No comments:

Post a Comment